Pigeon Guillemot, Black Scoter, north end of Toro Creek beach

Tom Edell

This morning I stopped to look through a large flock of scoters feeding in the surf from the south end of Studio Drive in Cayucos. Mixed in with the roughly 400 Surf Scoters was a female Black Scoter and one female type White-winged Scoter. With the aid of my scope, I found an immature Pigeon Guillemot further offshore and a little to the south. This is potentially the same juvenile I last saw from North Point Natural Area on 30 Nov, though there have been no other reports this winter until today. Adults should be returning before the end of February.  I counted 32 Red-throated Loons off the beach.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S80724326

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--