Topics

Pac Slope Flycatcher fledgling sighted

Sue Girard

Edited

Since the babies abruptly disappeared from the nest above my front door, and the female was not on her usual roost, I assumed the young and mother had become part of the food chain. Since that time I observed a single rough looking individual at the birdbath and hunting from the hedge opposite my window. A male has been heard singing the heads-up call near the hedge.

Today, at the golden hour, the ragged bird appeared in the hedge trailing a young fully feathered begging bird. Compared to the older bird, the young one's feathers were perfect and smooth. I'm now wondering if the family finds another secure location to roost once the young fledge, when the process of teaching the young to hunt on their own starts in earnest?