Oceano 4/4/21 (PAINTED BUNTING?)

Liam&Kilian Hampl

Today we birded Oceano, hitting up Oceano county park and Oceano campground. Oceano county park held its usual assortment of gulls, including the presumed Glaucous x Glaucous-winged Gull hybrid, grackles, domestic ducks, and marsh wrens. Also around were Cliff, rough-winged, and tree swallows, as well as some nice breeding-plumaged cormorants. Afterwards we birded the campground, where there were a lot of Nuttall’s and hairy woodpeckers. On the peninsula, Hooded and Bullock’s  orioles visited the now-flowering pepper trees and lots of Audubon’s and Myrtle warblers, one of which had a very deformed bill, flitted about. However the most interesting bird at the campground was a light green passerine that flew out of the bushes by the pepper trees on the peninsula. The bird structurally resembled a Painted Bunting, and it was about the size of a white-crowned sparrow. We couldn’t refind the bird after seeing it initially. Also, we heard a warbler song that I could only describe as sounding like a cross between a Black-and-white and a Kentucky Warbler song.

Overall, a pretty good day!

Happy Easter!
Kilian Hampl
Arroyo Grande