Topics

North Coast, 10/16

Tom Edell

I checked Little Pico Creek and the closed Piedras Blancas Motel this morning. The highlight was two Marbled Murrelets off the motel. Surf Scoters are starting to trickle in and with them a few White-winged Scoters. An male flew past Little Pico and landed in San Simeon Cove and another male was seen flying south with about 20 Surf Scoters from the motel.

There was a single hatch-year Ring-billed Gull at Little Pico. This species is somewhat uncommon along the more rocky north coast where it is rarely present in double digit numbers. Some eBird checklists would suggest that immature California Gulls are mistaken for this species.

A large group of feeding birds off the motel included at least 20 Black-vented Shearwaters and an estimate mixed flock of about 1000 gulls, plus pelicans, cormorants and a few terns. I was surprised not to see a jaeger working the area.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell