Topics

Morro Bay Birds

Jim Royer

I had a singing male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the trees around the mailbox labeled 331 Main Street in Morro Bay. (The grosbeak was mainly well up in the Eucalyptus trees.) The female Long-tailed duck continued at the north end of the Sandspit, with 3 Surf Scoters. At Lila Kiser Park in Morro Bay, I heard what sounded to be a vireo that was not one of the usual California species. It was singing in brief bursts and stopped each time before I could record it. I did not see the bird at all well enough to ID it. I saw it fly away from me only. It was heard from the path that parallels the fence for the RV Park, on the north side of the creek. It sang its two part slightly burry song 3 or 4 times, and then stopped. Five minutes later it sang a couple of times. This was at about 11:30. I just thought I’d mention it, in cases anyone will be birding there soon.

Jim Royer
Los Osos