Topics

MCAS Virtual Community Program - Tracking the Long-billed Curlew

Kaaren Perry

The recent news of the discovery of a Long-billed Curlew banded in Idaho and then arriving in Morro Bay, was posted on line and also reported in our local newspaper. http://esterobaynews.com/a-curlews-journey-from-idaho-to-morro-bay/

This coming Monday evening, Morro Coast Audubon will be presenting a special virtual program revealing more about the status, migration and habitat requirements of this fascinating species, currently being seen along our Pacific Coast.

You are invited to join us Monday, August 17 at 7:00 pm to take part in this informative and enjoyable MCAS Community Zoom meeting.   I've marked my calendar!

Aug 17, 2020, 7:00 PM

Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 885 5016 8592
Password: 502604

The Long-billed Curlew: Tracking a Species of Greatest Conservation Need
Presenter: Heather Hayes

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Curlew biology
  • population declines in Idaho
  • satellite transmitter research
  • the migration journey
  • outreach efforts
Long-billed Curlew populations of southwestern Idaho are declining at an alarming rate placing them on Idaho’s “Species of Greatest Conservation Need” list. With the use of satellite transmitter technology, the Intermountain Bird Observatory (IBO) is gaining valuable data as to why.

Come listen to first-hand field accounts from Heather Hayes, a research biologist and the Community Science Coordinator for the IBO and learn about the biology of these charismatic birds including information about their habitats, nesting requirements and migratory journey. We will also discuss how satellite technology is not only uncovering some of their mysteries but is also connecting communities across state lines and international borders.

Heather Hayes is a research biologist and the Community Science Coordinator for the Intermountain Bird Observatory (IBO) in Boise, Idaho. She works on many research projects that include the Long-billed Curlew Satellite Tracking program, the 8-state WAfLS community science program (Western Asio flammeus Landscape Study) for Short-eared Owls, and the IBO’s Hummingbird Monitoring Program.

Heather is also extremely passionate about her role as Community Outreach Coordinator, developing K-12 STEM curriculum and conducting “Curlews in the Classroom” programming. She loves the ability to integrate her fieldwork with education, bringing a unique perspective into not only the classroom but into Hunter’s Education classes as well. Her outreach efforts also extend to IBO’s banding research stations, where she serves as the visitor coordinator for the public.