Lewis' Woodpecker

Jamie M Chavez <jcwings@...>

While traveling west on Highway 166 heading back into Santa Maria from
the Central Valley, I spotted a single Lewis' Woodpecker flycatching
from the top snags of a dead oak right next to the highway. This was
approximately between mile markers 42 and 43 where there is a sharp bend
in the highway. This is a few miles west of the Spanish Ranch. I didn't
take the time to stop but there may be a few more around that spot. It
looks like good Lewis' Woodpecker habitat to me.

Jamie Chavez
jcwings@pronet.net
http://www.egroups.com/group/sbcobirding/info.html

Tom Edell

Jamie....Interesting sighting. There are no previous SLOCo records of
Lewis's Woodpecker in the Cuyama Valley. I checked Paul Lehman's Birds of
Santa Barbara County and he also does not mention any records for the valley.
I agree that the area does seem to have good habitat.

Tom

Tom Edell
Cayucos, CA
tedell@aol.com