Lewis’s Woodpeckers

Mark Mushkat

Hard to wrap my head around this…in Los Osos… I believe six (6!) Lewis’s Woodpecker’s just flew overhead from the southwest of MDO. On a direct line toward Sweet Springs Nature Preserve. All field characteristics fit: size: smaller than nearby BTPI, shape: large wings and raggedy tail, coloration: dark red around head and belly, movement: constant crow like flight.

Am now at preserve. Scrubby fields and oaks south of SSNP may be a good bet for the birds if they’ve settled somewhere. Or they could still be moving north.