Least Bittern continues at Whale Rock

Kaaren Perry

The immature Least Bittern, smallest of the heron family, first reported by Tom Edell and Norma Pillsbury on 7/9  was seen again Friday morning 7/9. I finally saw it  flying from a bullrush patch at the north end of Whale Rock Reservoir, landing in one of three small clumps of rushes below Cottontail Cr Rd overlook  before returning to the larger patches of rushes about 15 minutes later.

I had the good fortune to spend 6 hours (!) at my favorite parking pull out on Cottontail Cr. Rd. ( Short story - no cell connection and dead battery).  During that time I was hoping to get a photo however I saw the Least Bittern fly back and forth between the reeds only that once!  Shy definitely defines the behavior of this little marsh species and no luck with the photo :-(.

Green Heron, Snowy Egret, Great Egret and Great Blue Heron and many other species were also seen in the reedy and riparian area at the north end of reservoir during the 6 hours.

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay

Kaaren Perry

Correction. First reported by Tom and Norm yesterday, 7/8

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay