Las Pilitas Road Bridge, 5/22

Tom Edell

This morning a female Wood Duck with at least 5 chicks and male and female pairs were seen up and down the Salinas River from the Las Pilitas Road Bridges. No surprise that the number of migrants was low compared to my last visit since springs migration has already peaked. Most of the species seen were expected and most were breeding birds with lots of singing and calling. Great place to work on vocalizations.

The most interesting bird this morning was a small duck that flew past twice that only afforded poor looks. I did not see it land either time. In flight it looked brown with a white belly and an swept back crown/crest. Unfortunately I never got a good look at the bill and both passes were quick and in poor light. I first thought it was a female Wood Duck, but it was giving a low pitch single note call unlike a woodie. After listening to recorded calls I am fairly certain that the bird was giving female Hooded Merganser flight calls. May is very late for Hooded Merganser; nonetheless Jackie Knowlton photographed an adult male here on 12 May. Worth keeping in mind should you visit this location.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S88790385

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--