Juvenile red-shouldered hawks, SLO Creek downtown

Rubba Johanna

Was having a gander at SLO Creek downtown yesterday morning when I heard two birds making harsh-ish cries that were too loud for anything small. Followed the sound and saw two juvenile red-shouldered hawks moving about. One flew off up the creek. The other perched for a while, giving good looks at the brown-streaked pale breast and horizontal brown-striped tail. It then moved to a branch and appeared to press its body along the branch as if to become one with it. The brown back and yellow legs were clear. I've never seen a bird do something like this before. It continued to call in that position, and stayed that way for several minutes and then I left. This was at the Children's Museum end of the creek.

Johanna Rubba
Grover Beach