Islay Campground

Jeff Miller

I birded Islay Campground in Montana de Oro this morning. Amazingly, the male Streak-backed Oriole started chattering in the bushes behind the camp host campsite. It popped up briefly for a good look, then as soon as it sensed I was about to focus my camera, shot off in the direction of the cactus where it has been seen foraging in the past. The last eBird report of this oriole at Islay was from March 2. The bird was first found November 4, so it’s been here nearly five months.

Across from campsite 32, I heard the unmistakable "cheeseburger" song as given by the mountain chickadee. I couldn’t locate any chickadee and it’s possible some other bird imitated the song. If so, it was a pretty good rendition. I checked to make sure there were no starlings around.

Jeff Miller

Los Osos