hybrid sapsucker along the Bob Jones Trail

Kevin Zimmer

Just to add to Tom Edell’s post regarding the sapsuckers along the Bob Jones Trail:

In addition to the plumage distinctions between the hybrid and the Red-naped Sapsucker that Tom mentioned, one of the field marks that stands out on the hybrid bird, and which I pointed out to a few folks when I first photographed it, is that the white facial stripes are “broken” or “interrupted” in multiple spots, with intrusions of red feathering.  This is true of both the moustachial stripe and the post-ocular stripe, both of which are uninterrupted, creamy-white in the Red-naped Sapsucker.