Heermann's Gull, Laguna Lake, 10/26

Tom Edell

Late this morning I was surprised to find a Heermann’s Gull at Laguna Lake. There is only one previous county record of this gull away from the immediate coast and that bird was at Atascadero Lake in 2017. This bird did not like flying Turkey Vultures and chased several that flew near the Prefumo Creek outlet into the lake. Also at the lake was a single (only one?) juvenile Greater White-fronted Goose, the continuing two Black-necked Stilts, a Pectoral Sandpiper and the continuing Tropical Kingbird.

Earlier, I checked Port San Luis and San Luis Creek from the Avila Beach end. Of note was an adult male Harlequin Duck between the Port San Luis and Cal Poly piers. This is presumably the same male returning to this location for at least its 7th winter. While scoping the area from a little north of the Cal Poly Pier, a Blackpoll Warbler landed in a low bush (Harzardia sp) on the bay side of Avila Beach Drive and then flew to the hillside inland of the road where it seemed to vanish after moving up slope. I was surprised to not find any Greater White-fronted Geese.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell