Harris's Hawk at Morro Bay High School June 24, 2022

Kim Davis

Hello everyone,

My husband and I were at Morro Bay High School playing tennis today at 2 pm when I saw a Harris’s Hawk fly in and land on the fence at the west edge of the tennis courts. I carefully walked toward the bird to get some photos with my cell phone when a man walked near the fence on the other side and flushed the bird. I managed to get two very zoomed in shots from far away. This bird had large rufous areas on the forewings, large white rump patch and white edge on the tail. My husband and I have seen many Harris’s Hawks in our nature study travels through the deserts of the southwest US and we are very familiar with them. I got home and looked it up, realizing apparently this species has not been seen in our county before. The bird flew toward the west and we did not relocate it.

Kim Davis & Mike Stangeland
Morro Bay, CA

petra schaaf

The bird is most like "Dave," who is being used for bird abatement, meant to scare the gulls, not harm them.

Falconer Alessandro Todero and "Dave" have been at the Morro Bay High School as far back as 2018, deterring gull.

Inline image
November 20, 2018: "Dave" and Alessandro Todero.

Here is link to a Flickr video clip I took on November 20 2018. The clip includes excerpts from an article on "Dave" and Alessandro, which appeared in the Estero Bay News in February 2019.

Petra Clayton
Los Osos

On Friday, June 24, 2022, 4:34:07 PM PDT, Kim Davis <kim@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for letting us know about “Dave”! Mystery solved.

Kim Davis & Mike Stangeland
Morro Bay, CA

On Jun 24, 2022, at 5:12 PM, petra schaaf via groups.io <pcschaaf@...> wrote:

The bird is most like "Dave," who is being used for bird abatement, meant to scare the gulls, not harm them.

Falconer Alessandro Todero and "Dave" have been at the Morro Bay High School as far back as 2018, deterring gull.

<"Dave" and Alessandro Todero.jpg>
[...]

<Harris's Hawk MBHS June 24 20221076.jpg>
<Harris's Hawk MBHS June 24 20221076.jpg><"Dave" and Alessandro Todero.jpg>