Topics

Grosbeaks

Rick Derevan

Is it early for Black-headed Grosbeaks to have left for Mexico? I haven’t seen any in my yard for more than a week, and there were plenty before that.

Rick Derevan
Atascadero

Greg Smith

Hi Rick, Greg Smith here. No, not unusual at all.  The majority of my grosbeaks left last night as the feeders were almost devoid of adults this morning. I am just seeing juvies now.

Grosbeaks, most of the kingbirds and a lot of the orioles head south early, stopping in southern, AZ, NM and TX to undergo their post-breeding molt. The summer monsoons provide lots of insects in those areas which is needed for the molt.

When they finish their molt, they finish their migration south...

Best...