Topics

Greater Yellowlegs on the move

Kaaren Perry

This morning there were 8 adult Great Yellowlegs on the first pond on Turri Road.  They were all in transition from their heavily streaked breeding into wintering plumage.  Lots of preening going on!  These are the first of the returning shorebirds I have seen this season.  I did a little review on their breeding location and found this on Birds of the World, Cornell:  the Greater Yellowlegs restricts itself as a breeder to swampy muskeg habitats of central Canada and southern Alaska.  Welcome back!
(photo on flickr)

There was also a Wilson’s Phalarope on the second pond, frequently hidden from view when along the distant shore line.