From: CALBIRDS@groups.io <CALBIRDS@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rebecca Marschall
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 8:53 PM
To: lacobirds@groups.io; CALBIRDS@groups.io
Subject: [CALBIRDS] LA Birders Webinar: Geographic Variation in Dark-eyed Juncos

Hello birders,

You are invited to the next LA Birders webinar:

Geographic Variation in Dark-eyed Juncos: From Striking to Subtle

with Jon Dunn and Kimball Garrett

Tuesday, October 12 at 7pm

Juncos are distinctive and familiar New World sparrows that have diversified greatly in Middle and especially North America. Most birders are familiar with the various subspecies groups within the Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis), and with winter approaching opportunities for studying this variation abound.

After reviewing the evolutionary history of the genus Junco, we’ll take a look at geographic variation in what we now call the Dark-eyed Junco, building on the classic work of Alden H. Miller. We’ll emphasize variation in the “Oregon” group and their distinctions from the “Slate-colored,” “White-winged,” “Pink-sided,” and “Gray-headed” groups, along with the intergrades between these groups.

This webinar will be livestreamed on our YouTube channel; it will also be recorded and made available on YouTube for later - or repeat - viewing.

BECOME A MEMBER! Though our webinars will always remain free and available to all, members of Los Angeles Birders have access to live webinars via Zoom and also receive priority sign-up for LAB events and discounts on paid LAB programs (like Birding 101 below). To learn more about membership, please see our website!

And lastly... SAVE THE DATE(S):

* 10/18 - Birding 101 course begins (in-person! sign-up & tuition required)

* 10/19 - Slashes, sp.s, and identification (or not): Identification of Passerines in Flight with Ryan Terrill (Zoom webinar)

* 11/9 - Population dynamics, Lead Toxicity and California Condors with Myra Finkelstein (Zoom webinar)

* 11/6 - Slashes, sp.s, and identification (or not): Parrots of Southern California with Larry Allen (Zoom webinar plus in-person parrot chase field trip on to-be-announced date)

Good birding,

Rebecca Marschall

Valley Village

for LosAngelesBirders@...