From: CALBIRDS@groups.io <CALBIRDS@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rebecca Marschall
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2021 12:12 PM
To: lacobirds@groups.io; CALBIRDS@groups.io
Subject: [CALBIRDS] LA Birders Webinar: Warbler ID with Tom Stephenson, 9/21

Hello birders,

You are invited to join LA Birders for next week’s webinar and our other upcoming programs -- please feel free to share with any other folks or groups you think may be interested! And don’t forget that nearly all of our past programs are recorded and easily viewable any time on YouTube!

Warbler ID Made Easy(er) with Tom Stephenson, Tuesday, Sep 21, 2021 7:00pm via YouTube

North American warblers are some of the most beautiful birds in the world. But their beautiful colors often blind birders to many of their most important ID points. This problem is compounded by the often brief and obstructed views we have in the field.

This talk discusses many of these very important but often overlooked ID points such as overall contrast, subtle facial features, color impressions, feather edging, rump contrast, and foraging style, location, and behavior. And fortunately, viewing a warbler from below can reveal some of the most important ID points for many species. Learn how many tail and undertail covert patterns are, in fact, diagnostic alone or when combined with one other ID point.Individual species, especially the most challenging to identify, will also be discussed with outlines of the important ID points, comparisons with similar species, and illustrations of how even partial views can be used to identify many of even the most challenging warbler species.

Join us for an evening of warbler identification — without getting warbler neck!

This webinar will be livestreamed on our YouTube channel; it will also be recorded and made available on YouTube for later - or repeat - viewing.

BECOME A MEMBER! Though our webinars will always remain free and available to all, members of Los Angeles Birders have access to live webinars via Zoom and also receive priority sign-up for LAB events and discounts on paid LAB programs (like Birding 101). To learn more about membership, please see our website!

And lastly... SAVE THE DATE(S):

* 10/12 - Junco identification with Jon Dunn & Kimball Garrett (Zoom webinar)

* 10/18 - Birding 101 course begins (in-person! sign-up & tuition required)

* 10/19 - Slashes, sp.s, and identification (or not): Identification of Passerines in Flight with Ryan Terrill (Zoom webinar)

* 11/9 - Population dynamics, Lead Toxicity and California Condors with Myra Finkelstein (Zoom webinar)

* 11/16 - Slashes, sp.s, and identification (or not): Parrots of Southern California with Larry Allen (Zoom webinar plus in-person parrot chase field trip on to-be-announced date)

Good birding,

Rebecca Marschall

Valley Village, CA

for LosAngelesBirders@...