Topics

Eurasian Wigeon - continuing in Cayucos

Kaaren Perry

The Eurasian Wigeon continues to be seen in Cayucos Creek. Yesterday it was visible from the parking lot just west of the Hwy 1 bridge, associating with a few American Wigeons and several Mallards. I have also seen it in the creek nearer to Hardie Park.  The plumage appears to be either a female or immature male. Anyone having information to help determine age or sex of this bird would be appreciated.

This species is considered an uncommon vagrant in North America and has been increasing in numbers over the years. This bird was initially reported by Tom Edell.

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay

Tom Edell

Hi Kaaren,

The Eurasian Wigeon at Cayucos Creek is a first year male based on the gray feathers molting in on its rear left flank. Yesterday I saw what I believe were two after hatch year males on the Morro Bay Estuary from the parking area long South Bay Blvd. Those bird looked more like adult males but the flanks/sides were mixed red and gray, the backs gray, and chests were reddish. In addition, one of these birds clearly had an incomplete cream colored crown stripe. It is always worth checking the head color of any female wigeon near a male Eurasian as that can be a good way to locate a female Eurasian. Jeff Miller’s photo of a male from the estuary this morning, an apparent brown-headed female Carol Comeau found at Villa Creek last week, and the first year male that was present again this morning at Cayucos Creek are here.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell