Elegant Terns - Cayucos

Kaaren Perry

I hadn't been to the Lucerne Overlook in a few days and this morning was happy to discover the return of Elegant Terns!  Their kee-rick call was heard before I even got up my binoculars as they flew about in the cove, diving and calling around the off shore rocks.  There were also at least 100 seen roosting on the distant kelp. A few Forster's and a possible Royal were also seen moving with the tern group.

On the nearshore were 80 Willets, a few juveniles feeding among the molting adults, 18 Marbled Godwits, 8 Semi-palmated Plovers, one Whimbrel and one Black Turnstone.