[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eastern Kingbird (1 report)

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 25, 2021 12:15 by Petra Clayton
- Turri Road, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3250835,-120.7948498&ll=35.3250835,-120.7948498
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Charcoal gray upper parts with brownish primaries; pale tips on the wing coverts; black cap enveloping the eye; thick black bill; square black tail with white tip; white throat; pale gray upper breast; creamy-colored belly.

Perched on dry stalk at the far edge of the seasonal pond (by the corral), flying up intermittently, before taking off across the road.

Most recent eBird report of this species at this eBird hotspot: 8/19/2018. - Prior to that: Last eBird report at this eBird hotspot: 7/9/2012)"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Hooded Merganser (1 report)
- Vaux's Swift (1 report)
- Eastern Kingbird (1 report)

Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2021 06:53 by Tom Edell
- Atascadero Wastewater Treatment Ponds--no internal access, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4827588,-120.6424508&ll=35.4827588,-120.6424508
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "As I was scanning the largest pond with a center peninsula with my scope, I spotted a bird with a thin merganser like bill bedded down in a low-growing plant just above the pond shoreline. The brown head, pale throat, and yellowish base to the bill with yellow extending out about ¾ of the way to the tip of the lower mandible, and all dark culmen indicated it was a Hooded Merganser. The brown head lacked any evidence of a rear shaggy crest and the eye appeared dark. I later saw this bird in the small pond at the otherwise dry most southeast basin. There I noted pale streaks at the lower back on an otherwise all dark back and when it rose and flapped its wings, I was able to see that the brownish chest extended onto the flanks, that the belly was pale, and that it had a pale area in the secondaries, but I could not make out the pattern of this mark. Although this species remains unexpected in SLO County in summer, Hooded Merganser has now been recorded four out of the past five summers starting in 2017 and this record follows the county’s first confirmed nesting record further up the Salinas River at the Las Pilitas Road Bridge on 5 Jun 2021 when a female was photographed with 11 full grown young."

Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi) (2)
- Reported Jul 26, 2021 06:53 by Tom Edell
- Atascadero Wastewater Treatment Ponds--no internal access, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4827588,-120.6424508&ll=35.4827588,-120.6424508
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Based on past visits I expect to see Chaetura type swifts in summer at the Atascadero Wastewater Ponds. Shortly after reaching the east side of the ponds, I saw three dark swifts (cloudy skies), at least two of which were small. I continued to see these birds off and on from that point until I left about two hours later. After my initial sighting I never saw more than two small swifts and a larger White-throated Swift that appears to show wing molt. In direct comparison with Cliff, Tree, and Violet-green swallows, the Chaetura swifts appeared slightly smaller and flew much differently with rapid flapping and then a short glide pattern. These swifts did not look particularly long winged, and I could never make out a bulge in the inner primaries. The wings did not show any molt. When flying lower over the ponds I was able to see a paler rump than the rest of the upper surface and had a few occasions when a pale throat blending into a darker chest and belly was evident. I never heard these birds call, though I’m not sure I would even if they did! I think the size, apparent short wing length, and flight pattern suggest these are Vaux’s Swifts. This species was confirmed nesting at Atascadero in July 2013 and Chaetura swifts have been present annually in summer in Atascadero since 2013."

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2021 08:26 by Ann Stockert
- Turri Road, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3250835,-120.7948498&ll=35.3250835,-120.7948498
- Comments: "First reported on 7/25/21 by Petra Clayton in the area of the seasonal pond/ corral. Observed this morning along south side of the road moving east through the reeds and willows. Observed very dark gray upper parts with a blackish cap to just below eye and a thick black bill. Brownish primaries and whitish neck, chest and belly. Most notable were white tips on the tail. Unable to get photos."