Topics

Clay-colored Sparrow at Islay Creek Mouth

Kevin Zimmer

I spent the morning at Islay Creek Campground, waiting out the Streak-backed Oriole with lots of other birders.  The oriole toyed with us from about 0930 on, burying itself in coffee berry and other thickets at the base of the hillside on the back side of the first campground loop, and going silent for 20-30 minutes at a time, in between occasional short bursts of chatter, and very occasionally popping up into the open or flying across a gap.  Herb Elliott, Brad Schram and I were the last to call it quits, after seeing the oriole fly down into the willows along the creek shortly before noon.

On the way out of the campground, we had brief looks at the continuing Black-throated Sparrow, feeding in the shade between the parking lot in front of the gift shop and the road.

I stopped on my own to look for the Varied Thrush that had been seen previously at the mouth of Islay Creek.  The creek mouth was very sunny, and there were masses of people on the beach, neither of which was conducive to finding a Varied Thrush.  No sign of it.  But I did find a nice Clay-colored Sparrow down along the creek at around 1:00 p.m.  It was by itself, not associated with any other sparrows.

On the way back home, I stopped at Morro Creek mouth and photographed the continuing Red Phalarope at around 2:15 p.m.