Changing of the Yard Guard

Sue Girard

Appearing this morning for a quick bath was the season's first Bullock's Oriole male. Since I have little to attract orioles other than water, I'll wander down Sandydale  Dr. in Nipomo, checking Fan palms, late blooming Aloes, and the towering Fremontia hybrid with its cupped yellow blooms full of nectar. Will Rufous hummingbirds be far behind?

Feeling a bit whistful at the coming departure of YR (full breeding colors) and Townsend's Warblers and  RC Kinglets in a few weeks. Hermit Thrushes continue so far. Scrub Jays collecting nest materials--coir strings from my hanging  bskt.orchid cactus.

Sue Girard
Nipomo