From: "Rebecca Marschall" <rebecca.fenning@...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] LA Birders Webinar: Summer & Fall Sparrows, 7/19
Date: 17 July 2022 at 07:48:38 GMT-7

Hello birders,

We hope you will be able to join us for this coming week's LA Birders webinar:

Some Summer and Fall Sparrow Issues
With Jon Dunn & Kimball Garrett
Tuesday, July 19, 2022 7:00 PM – On YouTube

Although sparrow (Passerellidae) diversity and abundance are highest in southern California in late fall and winter, there is still a good variety of breeding species (many of which show geographic variation). And by late summer and early fall some species are dispersing away from breeding sites and the earliest fall migrants are arriving.

Jon and Kimball will tackle identification issues posed by confusing juvenile sparrows — starting with the juvenile Song Sparrows that account for essentially all mid-summer lowland reports of Lincoln’s Sparrows.

Then they will address the different timing of “post-juvenile” (preformative) molt in sparrows, in part using Spizella as an example of a group with species differing in molt timing.

For geographically variable species they will explore subspecies issues and distributional boundaries and in some cases species-level taxonomy issues.

Finally, if time permits, they will dive into other identification and status/distribution issues posed by our sparrows.

Wow! You won’t want to miss this performance, it’s bound to be a tour de force!

This webinar will be livestreamed on our YouTube channel and will also be recorded for later viewing.

Become a LAB Member! Though our webinars will always remain free and available to all, members of Los Angeles Birders have access to live webinars via Zoom, invitations to special LAB-only field trips, priority sign-up on LAB field trips & events, and discounts on paid LAB programs. To learn more about membership, please see our website!

SAVE THE DATE for upcoming programs:

* 8/7 - Bird Walk: First Sundays at the Huntington (LAB members only, signup open soon)

* 9/24 - Pelagic from Marina Del Rey (LAB members priority registration, signup open soon)

Good birding,
Rebecca Marschall for Los Angeles Birders

--
Rebecca Fenning Marschall