Blue, blue and more blue

Jan Bugge

Lisa and I were birding on San Simeon-Monterey Creek Rd on Sunday.  About .8 miles east of the San Simeon Creek camp entrance we spotted a Blue Grosbeak perched on a gate. The gate is on the right side of the road and is set back beyond a lot of vegetation.  We also saw at least one more grosbeak and at least four Lazuli Buntings. They were difficult to count because they moved around so much.  I took some not so great photos that I posted on Ebird.   There were also plenty of Western Bluebirds further up the road and one juvenile Green Heron.  The heron was 2+/- miles further up the road on the left hand side.  This was one of the few places where there was water in the creek.  You can see it from the road.  So if you'd like to see blue, blue, blue and a bit of green (actually brown striped) this is a great location.
Happy birding!
Jan Bugge
Lisa Gattuso