Topics

Black Tern 2? Oso Flaco

Thomas Slater

This morning I heard Herb and Jeff found the black tern (same one as reported at oso on 8-19?) at SMRE.

Well, I birded Oso Flaco this afternoon and saw a Black Tern. It was perched on the wooden duck blind pole nearest the boardwalk as you first walk in. I got really good looks at the bird perching. I also watched it fly around a lot. My overall impression is that the spur is lighter, and the forehead seemed to have a larger amount of white. The body also seemed less smudged under the wings. Still juvenile in appearance. The 1st tern I saw never perched. This one seemed to perch every 20 minutes or so.

That said, I saw it in full sun today. Last time it was sunset/after sunset. So that alone could be why things look different.

So there are a few scenarios to consider...

1. It's the same bird and it flew back to Oso after HerbJeff saw it.
2. HerbJeff's bird is the a bird and the bird at Oso is continuing.
3. It's a new bird. And the HerbJeff bird is the 1st bird.

You following me? Good because my eyes are crossed and I'm not even sure that made sense.

I'd love to hear if anyone else saw a black tern at Oso this morning while the other one was also being seen.
Interested parties can see my digiscoped picture here.

Anyone?

The fantastically gorgeous leucistic Barn Swallow is still flying around like a ghost. Impossible to miss.

Bird on,

Tom Slater
Nipomo

Thomas Slater

Looks like two pretty good birders were at Oso this morning but no report of Black Tern. I wonder if the bird flew back!? It’d be good to know if we were dealing with one or two birds. If it’s just one, then it moves around quite a bit.

Ps-I edited my ebird list and added Bank Swallow. I also saw 1Sora but also failed to list it but will update it. I was in a rush to get word out of possible 2nd bird.

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 8:36 PM, petra schaaf <pcschaaf@...> wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your detailed message.

I can't speak to today's events, but as far as perching goes:

Yesterday's Black Tern at Oso Flaco spent much time both flying and sweeping down to the water's surface. But it also took a long rest and preened, while perching on a floating branch on the "left" side of the boardwalk.

For what it's worth check out the video I posted on Flickr and our eBird checklist.

Best always,
Petra