Topics

Black Swifts - Morro Bay

Kaaren Perry

I was standing on our deck today at around 1:30 watching a few swallows enjoying the gusty afternoon winds when I noticed three Black Swifts soaring high over the dunes.  They were observed flying in front and occasionally above the cloud/fog  bank.  Their large size, all dark bodies, long wings and tail and soaring flight style helped to distinguish them from the loose flock of swallows.  They appeared only briefly before flying south and out of sight.

During the brief observation a Peregrine Falcon, Red-tailed Hawk and 1 accipiter sp were also seen.

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay