Bald eagles in Avila Beach

Victoria Morrow

For people interested in bald eagles, they have been hanging around Avila for the past couple of weeks. There seem to be two adults and I have seen one or two on three occasions, and other people have reported them at least three other times. They have been observed in the morning (around 8 am) but also in the late afternoon. They fly along the creek, both upstream and down, loop over the estuary and pass near the footbridge. When they are present, there seem to be many fewer birds on the creek. Smart birds. I thought their appearance correlated with the kind tides but now that does not seem to be the case.

So if you are there, keep your eyes peeled. My hope, of course, is that they are assessing the area for possible nesting.

Vicki Morrow