Topics

Arid South County Birds

Thomas Slater

I drove out to Rock Front Ranch OHV this morning. Not too hot, muggy, some light thundershowers. I went to my favorite seep (there is a hole in a cliff where there is a drip of water and birds love it).  My target was to photograph the Rufous-crowned Sparrows. They obliged and let me to within 12' (one snuck up to observe me, creeping behind some rocks and he got to within 6' of me... I don't know if he got any good photos of me - check ePerson.org).

I also encountered a small pale breasted hummer that I could not identify (any help would be appreciated), it made a bubbly call,  BUT the cherry on top was a close encounter with a Barn Owl just off the trail. All in all 34 species and some fun scenery on a very weird monsoony kind of day.

eBird checklist and photos here -
Tom Slater
Nipomo

Kaaren Perry

Hi Tom,

Do hope you post if and when you find out about the hummer.

Crazy weather.  We had thunder and lightening again today. Cooler but waiting for the forecasted heat again. 😱

Kaaren

On Aug 15, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Thomas Slater via groups.io <tomslaterphotography@...> wrote:

I drove out to Rock Front Ranch OHV this morning. Not too hot, muggy, some light thundershowers. I went to my favorite seep (there is a hole in a cliff where there is a drip of water and birds love it).  My target was to photograph the Rufous-crowned Sparrows. They obliged and let me to within 12' (one snuck up to observe me, creeping behind some rocks and he got to within 6' of me... I don't know if he got any good photos of me - check ePerson.org).

I also encountered a small pale breasted hummer that I could not identify (any help would be appreciated), it made a bubbly call,  BUT the cherry on top was a close encounter with a Barn Owl just off the trail. All in all 34 species and some fun scenery on a very weird monsoony kind of day.

eBird checklist and photos here -
Tom Slater
Nipomo

Laura Kass

Just observed a morning dove feeding on the ground near my feeder that has something that looks like a large bunch of ticks, or other growth on the right side if it’s face near the beak...  iIt seems to be moving and behaving normally otherwise...