From: Nadje Najar <nnaja003@...>
Date: Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:46 PM
Subject: Banding Allen's hummingbirds in San Luis Obispo county
To: <mcas@...>

Hello,

I'm  a postdoc at UC Riverside in the Brelsford lab and Clark lab working on the California Conservation Genomics Project, a statewide effort to sample the genomes of ~150 individuals of each of ~100 species, and generate reference genomes for each of these species. I'm working on the Allen's hummingbird, and while we have lots of samples from northern California and southern California, we have very few samples from the central coast. Migratory Allen's hybridize with Rufous hummingbirds in the north and sedentary Allen's in the south (around Santa Barbara). The area around Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo is particularly interesting to sample because my lab group has (soon to be published) work suggesting this is the only "pure" and not admixed population of migratory Allen's, and we don't have many individuals sampled there.

I'm messaging to ask if you would be willing to pass this message to anyone who currently maintains hummingbird feeders and might be willing to let me come trap, band, and take a small blood sample for DNA from Allen's hummingbirds. I'll be in the area from ~ May 1st to May 20th. I'll be working solo, wearing a mask and socially distanced.

I've attached a copy of our proposal to the CCGP and their website (https://www.ccgproject.org/) so you can read a bit about the goals of the project, if you like. I'm also very happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Thanks,

Nadje

--
Nadje Najar, PhD