Am. Redstart, Cassin's K'birds AG Village

Brad Schram

This morning along AG Creek in Arroyo Grande Village produced a wintering hatch-year male AMERICAN RESTART, just upstream from the swinging bridge near the redwoods.

Six CASSIN'S KINGBIRDS called and squabbled as they sortied to and from the ivy berries which are now ripe and abundant.  As predicted earlier this winter, the kingbird numbers are lower than the usual winter population here, my high count in the village so far this year was eight Cassin's. The ripe berries have drawn a dozen or more AMERICAN ROBINS and the usual cohort of starlings.  Cedar Waxwings were notably absent, although I've seen the occasional small flock in the area this winter.

Brad Schram
Arroyo Grande