Satellite-tagged Long-billed Curlew Update

Kaaren Perry

Hi Carol

I just love the way you are keeping us all informed.  This is great use of slocobirding.  Judy Neuhauser, Freddy Howell and I recently presented a program on birds of the estuary for John Sanders' Delfinia Environmental youth camp and one of our segments was on migration… featuring Dozer. Migration map, photos etc. Great fun and the youngsters were fascinated.

Thank you!

Kaaren Perry
MCAS Education Chair

On Jun 19, 2021, at 8:59 AM, RoserComeau <rosercomeau@...> wrote:

UPDATE:  I did not look at Mimi's coordinates correctly. She is in the agricultural fields just east of the Salton Sea. This may be her overwintering grounds. Will be fun to see what happens.

Thanks for the great response so far. There are spaces for 7 LB Curlew data checkers. So far 3 people have expressed interest. The bird you monitor could over winter anywhere in the west. Dozer and Neil (died this spring) were the only 2 known to over winter on the Central Coast.

Happy birding,
Carol Comeau
Los Osos
On Saturday, June 19, 2021, 06:52:26 AM MST, RoserComeau <rosercomeau@...> wrote:

Mimi, Dozer's mate, left their breeding grounds in Indian Valley. She started moving south on June 14 and is currently in Nevada. In early June Heather Hayes (with the Intermountain Bird Observatory) found one egg that looked like a predator had gotten to it. Heather recently received a call from a rancher in the area who reported seeing an adult with two young birds. So, there is hope that perhaps Dozer and Mimi had some nesting success. As a reminder, Petra Clayton first encountered Dozer on Morro Strand Beach on June 21, 2020.

Heather is looking for more curlew trackers. The job is easy! Once or twice a week you check the Movebank data site to make sure your bird's transmitter is working. It takes about 10 minutes. If  for some reason, you are unable to check the data, you just let the team know so they can check for that time. If you are interested in helping, please let me know and I can put you in touch with Heather.

Happy birding,
Carol Comeau
Los Osos

RoserComeau