Zone-tailed Hawk, Morro Bay SP Marina, 29 Dec

Tom Edell

The bird was flying around the estuary and marina between 3:30 and 4:00 PM today and surely went to roost somewhere in the State Park. It should be in the area tomorrow morning.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell
Cayucos, CA

Mark Mushkat

I saw it briefly this morning at 8 am toward the west end of the Marina. It flew out from the eucalyptus, over the cafe, then headed north and out of view.

On Dec 29, 2020, at 4:56 PM, Tom Edell via groups.io <TEdell@...> wrote:

The bird was flying around the estuary and marina between 3:30 and 4:00 PM today and surely went to roost somewhere in the State Park. It should be in the area tomorrow morning.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell
Cayucos, CA

Kaaren Perry

To add just a little more of my observations to Tom's afternoon report.  It was mostly observed this afternoon from the east end of the parking area and boardwalk as it flew over the estuary, once dropping to the ground in the estuary and once in the campground. Hunting?   At one time it flew farther east with a few TV's across South Bay Blvd and flew along the nearby hillsides before returning to the estuary.  Even though I have now seen this bird on more than one occasion at this location it is still a thrill to get repeated views of this county and also a California rarity.   Now, how long will it remain is the question. 2021???  Getting close.

Two photos added to flickr from todays visit. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaarenp/

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay