5/6 San Simeon State Park

Karen Clarke <seachest@...>

I surveyed San Simeon State Park Saturday, May 6, from the beach to the
Pine/Oak woodland. I spotted 63 species. Notably missing, for me, were
Green Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Pied-billed Grebe, Belted
Kingfisher, Yellow and Orange-crowned Warbler. No Pied-billed Grebe?

Shorebirds included 6 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Killdeer, 1 Greater Yellowlegs,
1 Spotted Sandpiper, 2 Sanderling, 1 Western Sandpiper (alternate plumage),
2 Least Sandpiper. There were 2 Bonaparte's Gulls. One was undergoing the
change to alternate plumage.

In the woodland I saw 1 White-throated Swift. A pine by the woodland trail
has a nest that I am assuming is a Sharp-shinned Hawk nest, as an immature
bird stayed close to the nest. A Golden Eagle hunted the hillsides east of
the upper campground near the windmill. I found a pair of House Wrens and
their nesthole in a pine tree. They made regular trips into the opening.
Two Lazuli Buntings sang on the SE downslope of the upper campground, above
the riparian area. Unfortunately, there were 4+ Brown-headed Cowbirds,
including 1 female, in the park.

Karen Clarke