Shorebird ID needed-white eyering

Cindy McIntyre <cindy@...>

 Saw this bird at Estero Bluffs Dec. 24 - seemed like it was about the size of the black turnstones out there.

John Sterling

Looks like a winter sharp tailed sandpiper to me.

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Dec 25, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Cindy McIntyre <cindy@...> wrote:

<_DSC1956 copy.jpg> Saw this bird at Estero Bluffs Dec. 24 - seemed like it was about the size of the black turnstones out there.

John Sterling

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Dec 25, 2018, at 10:04 PM, John Sterling <jsterling@...> wrote:

Yeah. Guess just a Least. If it was the size of a turnstone it couldn’t be a Least Sandpiper but that’s the best fit.

Thanks Todd for setting me straight.

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Dec 25, 2018, at 9:17 PM, calfrosty <calfrosty@...> wrote:

Not on sibleys. What am i doing  wrong?

Looks like a winter sharp tailed sandpiper to me.

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Dec 25, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Cindy McIntyre <cindy@...> wrote:

<_DSC1956 copy.jpg> Saw this bird at Estero Bluffs Dec. 24 - seemed like it was about the size of the black turnstones out there.

Cindy McIntyre <cindy@...>

The strong eye ring threw me. Thanks.

Cindy McIntyre

[...]

Both least and sharp tailed have the eyering.

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Dec 26, 2018, at 8:00 AM, Cindy McIntyre <cindy@...> wrote:

[...]

I had seen quite a few least sandpipers there, but for some reason I had thought this was a larger bird, and the eye ring was more distinct than others I had photographed. Mystery solved. Thanks!

Cindy McIntyre
207-522-4664 cell