Cambria birding Mar 18

Karen Clarke <seachest@...>

Taking advantage of a clear and sunny morning, I walked from my house on Moonstone Beach Dr., Cambria uphill on Weymouth St. to the trails winding through the forest on the C-T Ranch (vicinity of the Cambria cemetery).  I saw a good variety of species, but nothing unusual.

I did see a Eurasian Collared Dove on the utility lines at Weymouth and Hwy 1.  I knew that they had been seen in the area of the Cambria Pines Lodge, but I had not seen any.

A flock of some 35-40 Cedar Waxwings flew overhead while I was in the forest.  I found them a little later gorging themselves on Toyon berries.  Outstanding birds!

For the first time I heard a Ruby-crowned Kinglet singing.  The sound was much more pleasing than the usual scolding.  A Hermit Thrush sang quietly, seeming to sing to inself.  A Yellow-rumped Warbler was singing, which surprised me.  Being a westerner, I'm not accustomed to the songs of warblers.

A small flock of Violet-green Swallows were the first swallows I've seen in Cambria this year (even SLO).

The only sour note of the morning was hearing and seeing a pair of Brown-headed Cowbirds.

Karen C.