Morro Bay, Oceano and Oso Flaco updates

Kevin Zimmer

As of this morning, the Red-necked Grebe was still just off the Tidelands Park at the south end of the Embarcadero in Morro Bay.  The Long-tailed Duck was also opposite the Coast Guard pier (hanging with Buffleheads and Eared Grebes).  There was also a 1st-cycle Thayer's Gull in the immediate vicinity.

The Tropical Kingbird continues at Oceano Campground.  It was hanging around at the far tip of the "Peninsula" in the clearing with the bat boxes, but I also heard it in the southernmost part of the campground.  It was sporadically vocal during the hour that I was there, and habitually returned to the same perches.  The Cackling Goose and Snow Goose are also still there, and are hopelessly corrupted by the various domestic geese and ducks.

Not a lot going on at Oso Flaco (tons of people there today for whatever reason), but Barn Swallows outnumbered Tree Swallows (12 Barns and 5 Trees by my count), which is pretty interesting for the first week of January!