Hooded Mergansers

Kevin Zimmer

There are 6 Hooded Mergansers (3 males, 3 females) on the large pond just south of Atascadero on the east side of US 101.  This pond has attracted Hooded Mergansers in past years as well.  Today was the first time this winter that I've checked the pond.

For those unfamiliar with this pond, it is ca. 2.4 miles south of the Santa Barbara Road Exit (the southernmost exit within the Atascadero city limits.  There is a large gravel turnout on the east side of the north-bound lanes that makes a convenient and safe place to pull over and scope the pond.  An adult Bald Eagle has frequented the vicinity of this pond for at least the last 2 winters, although I did not see it during my brief stop this afternoon.