SLOCo Birds 1/22

Tom Edell

Hi all,

First let me thank Mike Stiles for all his work setting up the new county
bird listserv and also for creating and maintaining a county birding web
page. Mike, you are making a substantial contribution to this county's
birding community and I appreciate it.

This morning I met Mike and Marlin Harms at Morro Bay State Park on the State
Park Marina spit. We were there because of the nice high tide which gave us
an opportunity to look for the NELSON'S SHRP-TAILED SPARROW found there in
November. Mike had aleady spotted the bird when I arrived and we watched it
skulk in the California sagebrush for quite a while noting all the field
marks. We did note that the bird is not banded, therefore it is not one of
the ones Greg Smith has banded in past years. While there, we also say a
first year ROSS'S GOOSE (Gray in the head), and I noted a couple of other
white geese that flushed and landed out of view. They were probably a couple
of the Snow Geese know to be present on the bay. A calling BLACK SKIMMER
flew by and around the flooded channels occassionally skimming the water. We
last saw it when it landed among a group of shorebirds in the Salicornia. I
counted 12 GREATER YELLOWLEGS in our vicinity which was three more than
tallied on the Christmas Bird Count. Makes me wonder what is the actual
number on the bay.

Tom

Tom Edell
Cayucos, CA