Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Cal French <ccfrench@...>

No, I have not seen one, but I am wondering when and where they have been
seen in SLO county last. Recently the Department of Interior proposed
listing them as endangered.
The Federal Register announcement (90-day notice) follows:

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
50 CFR Part 17

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Notice of 90-Day
Finding for a Petition To List the Yellow-billed Cuckoo as Endangered
and Commencement of a Status Review
AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Notice of 90-day petition finding.
SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), announce a
90-day finding on a petition to list the yellow-billed cuckoo (Coccyzus
americanus) as endangered, with critical habitat, pursuant to the
Endangered Species Act (Act) of 1973, as amended. We find that the
petition presents substantial scientific or commercial information to
indicate that the listing of the yellow-billed cuckoo may be warranted.
Therefore, we are initiating a status review to determine if the
petitioned action is warranted. To ensure that the review is
comprehensive, we are soliciting information and data regarding this
species.
DATES: The finding in this document was made on February 7, 2000. To be
considered in the status review and subsequent 12-month finding for the
petition, your information and comments must be received by April 17,
2000.
ADDRESSES: You may submit data, information, comments, or questions
concerning this finding to the Field Supervisor, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office, 2800 Cottage Way, Room W-
2605, Sacramento, California 95825. The petition finding, supporting
data, and comments are available for public inspection, by appointment,
during normal business hours at the above address.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Karen Miller at the Sacramento Fish
and Wildlife Office (see ADDRESSES section above), or at 916/414-6600.