Rufous H.

Karen Clarke <seachest@...>

This morning I saw an adult male Rufous Hummingbird in my backyard feeding at the Pride of Madeira blossoms.  This is my first sighting this year.

I was also awakened at 7 AM by the raucous cawing of 5-6 crows.  Thinking that they were probably mobbing a hawk in the Cypress tree, I got up and took a look.  sure enough, an immature Cooper's Hawk was feeding on one of the branches of the tree.  The hapless prey turned out to be either a Brewer's or Red-winged Blackbird.  Too bad it didn't catch one of the two Brown-headed Cowbirds stuffing themselves at the feeder.

Karen C.