[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- White-winged Scoter (3 reports)
- Red-breasted Merganser (2 reports)
- Red Phalarope (1 report)
- Long-tailed Jaeger (1 report)
- Horned Puffin (1 report)
- Tufted Puffin (1 report)
- Sabine's Gull (1 report)
- Herring Gull (1 report)
- Ashy Storm-Petrel (1 report)

White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 14:29 by Dane Fagundes
- Morro Bay harbor mouth, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3640786,-120.8658353&ll=35.3640786,-120.8658353
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 14:29 by Heather O'Connor
- Morro Bay harbor mouth, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3640786,-120.8658353&ll=35.3640786,-120.8658353
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 07:06 by Heather O'Connor
- Morro Bay harbor mouth, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3640786,-120.8658353&ll=35.3640786,-120.8658353
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing"

Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 18:08 by Chris Wilson
- Bob Jones Trail, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1886907,-120.7193907&ll=35.1886907,-120.7193907
- Comments: "On the island just below the bridge."

Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 18:08 by Frannie Wilson
- Bob Jones Trail, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1886907,-120.7193907&ll=35.1886907,-120.7193907
- Comments: "On the island just below the bridge."

Red Phalarope (Phalaropus fulicarius) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 08:02 by Dane Fagundes
- Auto selected 35.36622, -120.93377, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.366221,-120.933768&ll=35.366221,-120.933768
- Comments: "Adult"

Long-tailed Jaeger (Stercorarius longicaudus) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 08:47 by Dane Fagundes
- Auto selected 35.39509, -121.07275, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.395085,-121.072746&ll=35.395085,-121.072746
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Field ID will check photos. Photo attached and checked. Structure looks good, and underwing primary patch with that dark "nick" in it is key, this is a Long-tailed Jaeger. Likely a one year old."

Horned Puffin (Fratercula corniculata) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 07:21 by Dane Fagundes
- North Pacific Ocean, Morro Bay US-CA 35.36287, -120.88419, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.362871,-120.884189&ll=35.362871,-120.884189
- Media: 17 Photos
- Comments: "Subadult. I joked that we were certain that it was not a Tufted, but could not confirm that it wasn't an Atlantic (no records here). But I dove deep into bird ID land, looking at photos of adults and sorting out what may work with young birds to differentiate between the two species. Curiously the bill pattern differences did not seem to be so useful (correct me if I am wrong). But instead, the bold post-ocular line that connects with the blackish nape - that is useful. There is a small gap in Atlantic. The black throat! Never noticed this but Atlantic has a more grayish-black throat that is divided from the black of the breast. Minor, and maybe not a feature that is useful at all, in younger (two year old or so) birds, Atlantic seems to have a more grayish face. Summing it up, this is an immature Horned Puffin."

Tufted Puffin (Fratercula cirrhata) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 08:47 by Dane Fagundes
- Auto selected 35.39509, -121.07275, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.395085,-121.072746&ll=35.395085,-121.072746
- Media: 17 Photos
- Comments: "Near adult, tufts not entirely developed. But likely at least two years old? Based on grooves on bill."

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 08:47 by Dane Fagundes
- Auto selected 35.39509, -121.07275, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.395085,-121.072746&ll=35.395085,-121.072746
- Comments: "Adult"

Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2022 17:28 by Mike Bush
- Villa Creek--Estero Bluffs State Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4599561,-120.9688341&ll=35.4599561,-120.9688341
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Black marks on head and neck, black mark on bill pink feet and legs."

Ashy Storm-Petrel (Hydrobates homochroa) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2022 08:47 by Dane Fagundes
- Auto selected 35.39509, -121.07275, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.395085,-121.072746&ll=35.395085,-121.072746
- Comments: "Smaller than Black with quick and shallow wingbeats"