Tri-colored colony 26 May

Mike Stiles

Today at the ponds just west of Cuesta College were approximately 500
Tri-colored Blackbirds. They were in the Scirpus that surrounds the
ponds. Female to male ratio about 3 or 4 to 1. They were making group
foraging flights to an adjacent field of recently cut hay and
returning with nesting material.

Also of interest was a very young coot. Bright red bill and reddish
down feathers around the head and neck.

The ponds are on Cal Poly property and birders have been asked to
leave before. The farm operations manager reluctantly let me bird the
area, and I've worked at Poly for 13 years. Enter at your own risk.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos, CA
mstiles@calpoly.edu