Early signs of Spring

Kaaren Perry

Red-tail Hawk pair standing side by side on the phone pole, Red-shouldered Hawks recently heard calling again in our neighborhood, our resident Northern Mockingbird singing has intensified…(he lost his 2 year mate to a Cooper's Hawk about 3 weeks ago :-(.  2 Mourning Doves sharing a mutual preening exercise, California Scrub-Jay pair food sharing and mutual preening and of course Redheads that continue to move in pairs at Whale Rock.   Western Gull pair again standing together on the off shore rock at Lucerne vista in Cayucos where they have successfully nested for the past few years. Male and female Mallards are "playing tag" everywhere!

While visiting my local patches I have been lucky to observe all these early signs of spring in just the past few days. More to come! Our  MCAS survey team will begin our 9th consecutive year of Sweet Springs Preserve Breeding surveys in mid March!  I am already looking forward to the 2022 official breeding bird season!

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay