Whale Rock Reservoir - duck species increasing.

Kaaren Perry

I made a stop at Whale Rock this morning, observing from the small parking pull off at the north end of the reservoir on Cottontail Cr. Rd.  There were many more ducks on the reservoir that when I last visited on  October 13.

I had no inclination to count noses but, in addition to the expected species previously seen, a few of the duck species that seemed to have recently arrived were- Canvasback, Redheads and increasing numbers of Ring-necked

Both Western and Clarks grebes, continuing White-faced Ibis, Sora and Snipe were also seen.  A scattering of Violet-green Swallows cruised low over the water.

A scope is recommended but not absolutely necessary for a nice Fall morning.