[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Bufflehead (1 report)
- Pacific Golden-Plover (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (3 reports)
- Prothonotary Warbler (1 report)
- Magnolia Warbler (1 report)
- Blackpoll Warbler (4 reports)

Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 12:45 by Kaaren Perry
- Whale Rock Reservoir, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4636527,-120.8708239&ll=35.4636527,-120.8708239
- Comments: "2 adult male seen diving near shore at north end of reservoir from Cottontail Creek rd.First reported 10/12 by Tom Edell."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 09:05 by Roger Zachary
- Arroyo Laguna, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.6515286,-121.2196684&ll=35.6515286,-121.2196684
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Seen with other shorebirds feeding along the beach; poor light on these exposures; wing projections hard to compare but short; hard to determine leg length w/o nearby similar bird;"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 16:15 by Tom Slater
- Oso Flaco Lake (not for beach/ocean), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.0302072,-120.6207848&ll=35.0302072,-120.6207848
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Very bright yellow all the way up to white throat. Long dark bill. Long tail. Gray head and brownish wings. Photo"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 15:34 by Larry Chen
- Oso Flaco Lake (not for beach/ocean), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.0302072,-120.6207848&ll=35.0302072,-120.6207848
- Comments: "Continuing. Yellow-bellied kingbird with green-tinged back, long bill, faint but distinct mask, no white tail edges. At usual perch in bush on bulrush island."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 15:34 by Sarah Toner
- Oso Flaco Lake (not for beach/ocean), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.0302072,-120.6207848&ll=35.0302072,-120.6207848
- Comments: "Continuing. Yellow-bellied kingbird with green-tinged back, long bill, faint but distinct mask, no white tail edges. At usual perch in bush on bulrush island."

Prothonotary Warbler (Protonotaria citrea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 09, 2021 10:29 by Nicole Koeltzow
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Comments: "Continuing birding at (35.1070573, -120.6263869). Low over the water and always in and behind the sticks. Yellow head and chest, white belly to vent, greenish back and gray wings. Have photos"

Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2021 10:29 by Nicole Koeltzow
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Comments: "Found while photographing the Blackpoll. Gray head, yellow from chin to belly, and black streaks down the flacks. Moves very fast and couldn’t get a photo."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Oct 14, 2021 07:09 by Jeff Miller
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Comments: "Dull yellow warbler with white belly and undertail coverts, faint streaking on sides, olive back with dark streaks, pale yellow eye arcs, slight dark line through eye, strong white wing bars, gray neck, orange-yellow feet!"

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 08:06 by Nick Belardes
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Possibly continuing. Unsure if this is the same bird that has been seen multiple times over the past week or so. Thought for sure the bird, if the same one, would have left in the recent windstorm.

I was heading north through the west side of the campground along the service road, wanting to see the yellow-and-grey mystery warbler from early in the morning, when I received a call from Derek Hameister that he'd found a Blackpoll on the southeastern trail. I'm guessing Harding Drive might intersect with this area if you were to draw a line to it. Hameister may have a more accurate location.

Anyway, I hoofed it to the area like the slug that I am. After what seemed like a ten-hour half-jog, I arrived to see the bird foraging right alongside the trail. What luck! Had this bird been beamed here magically? Had it flown through a Blackpoll portal? It was on the end of a leafy shoot of some kind, trying to get at bugs, seeds or fruit, not sure.

Hameister was maybe ten feet or so on the south side of the bird. I closed in to about twenty or so feet away on the north side and snapped some photos. I think I was too shaky from expending all my energy reserves to get decent pics. The bird eventually hopped into the canopy on the west side of the trail where we lost sight of it.

Hameister said the bird had flown away and returned. I wasn't surprised. It could have flown out and back a hundred times with how long it took me to arrive. Probably could have watched an entire sitcom episode in that time span. Might have been quicker to have swam across the lake like Kai Mills did across Morro Bay Harbor for a Common-ringed Plover sighting.

This was my first sighting of this species. Wasn't expecting it to appear so drab. Thought it would be a brighter green as I'd seen in some recent photos (maybe from a different area). I probably would have thought this bird a drab Yellow-rumped on first glance. However, I was able to examine my photos to understand which field marks I should have been paying attention to: dark-striped olive back, pink bill, olive chest streaks on yellowish breast, yellowish throat, pale broken eyering, dark eyeline, white undertail and double-white wingbars. The pink legs kind of throw me though. My Sibley's field guide shows this species with more yellowish legs. Is this some pink-legged subspecies? (Upon closer examination of photos, the legs do look yellowish and pinkish. Weird). Big thanks again to Hameister for helping me today!"

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Oct 13, 2021 07:25 by Derek Hameister
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Typical fall individual. Olive yellow green back with white wingbars. Dull yellow below with light olive streaking on breast and flanks. White undertail."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 09, 2021 10:29 by Nicole Koeltzow
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Comments: "Found here (35.1091135, -120.6255970) right at eye level. Then came really close to us while Tom and I photographed the bird feeding right by us. Would work both sides of the trail. Have many photos."