[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Black-chinned Hummingbird (2 reports)
- Red-footed Booby (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Cedar Waxwing (3 reports)

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 07:45 by Long-eared Owl
- Pecan street, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1121975,-120.5960095&ll=35.1121975,-120.5960095
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Cont. bird at the feeders. Photos."

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Sep 06, 2021 19:14 by Long-eared Owl
- Pecan street, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1121975,-120.5960095&ll=35.1121975,-120.5960095
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird defending the feeder. Diagnostic call. Photo."

Red-footed Booby (Sula sula) (1)
- Reported Sep 04, 2021 16:00 by Kevin Lapp
- Montana de Oro SP--Bluff Trail, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2711807,-120.8948396&ll=35.2711807,-120.8948396
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "Delayed report because of no cell-phone service in Islay Creek campground, and because I couldn't ID this bird in the field and needed to see my photos and couldn't do that until I got home from camping. Originally reported as a Brown Booby (to trigger eBird review); received a message that this bird looks like a Red-footed Booby spotted at Morro Bay two days later.

This bird caught my attention because it was really big compared to all the shearwaters flying by off-shore. Photos are significant crops of my photos taken from the tide pools at Corralina Cove. The bird was flying well off-shore; at its closest, it was just beyond the kelp (a couple of hundred yards off shore). Appeared to be all-dark. Its flight was mostly low to the ocean, but it rose and fell in a pattern I associate more with an albatross, but I don't have much experience with either albatross (never seen a black-footed albatross) or boobies, and I only saw this bird for 15 seconds or so. Photos show a lighter neck ahead of the wings and, if you can zoom in, some flight feather wear that looks like the Red-footed Booby photographed at much closer range two days later."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 10:08 by Jean Bazor
- Pismo Creek mouth, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1340046,-120.6392555&ll=35.1340046,-120.6392555
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing"

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) (2)
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 07:57 by Kees Eglowski
- Dove Creek Sensitive Habitat Trail, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4488531,-120.6375668&ll=35.4488531,-120.6375668
- Comments: "Unmistakable calling"

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) (2)
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 09:12 by Jim Royer
- Islay Creek Campground--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2736118,-120.8838502&ll=35.2736118,-120.8838502
- Comments: "Calling - very high pitched and repeated “seeet” up in cypress trees"

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) (6)
- Reported Sep 06, 2021 07:12 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- de Anza Trail - South Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4874054,-120.6409125&ll=35.4874054,-120.6409125
- Comments: "Bug-catching flock"