Re: Dozer the curlew

petra schaaf

On Wednesday (8/25/21) I had my second encounter with Dozer since July 12.

The observation (and his nap) was cut short by a couple of Peregrine Falcons, which flushed all shorebirds from the upper beach, just as he was settling in for a rest.

My eBird checklist includes a link to a Flickr video.

Petra Clayton,
Los Osos

P.S.
Heather Hayes, Research Biologist, Intermountain Bird Observatory, Idaho, wrote in response to the sighting:

Hi Petra!

Thank you so much for this wonderful update! I can honestly say, I have never seen a Curlew with its eyes closed-the napping shot is a heart melter. The video of him nestling in behind the vegetation was great ❤

We so appreciate these images and knowing he has folks keeping good tabs on him 👍

His mate Mimi is on her wintering grounds roughly 450 miles away in Mexico on the  Biosphere Reserve of the Upper Gulf of California & Colorado River Delta. I took a screenshot below - you can see Dozer's pink dots in Morro Bay, and then the blues migration line to Mexico where Mimi is hanging out. Amazing that these long-distance relationships really work -  lol :).

Heather

Inline image

On Thursday, August 26, 2021, 6:30:38 PM PDT, njmann90 <njmann50@...> wrote:

Mick Bondello and I saw Dozer the tagged Long billed Curlew on Morro Strand Beach today

Njmann
Slo