Las Pilitas Road Bridges at Salinas River, 3 May

Tom Edell

There was a good variety of migrants at the Las Pilitas Road Bridges this morning. Las Pilitas Road is the closest public road that crosses the Salinas River below the Santa Margarita Lake dam. Eight species of warbler were seen plus a Yellow Breasted Chat was heard vocalizing but not seen.  Other migrants included Warbling Vireo and Western Tanager. Three Purple Martins made a brief appearance and both a female Black-chinned Hummingbird and a male Costa’s Hummingbird were seen. This was the best I’ve seen this location.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S87024735

I also checked for Purple Martins along Hwy 58 just east of Pozo Road. A male and female continued by one of the utility poles with multiple potential nest holes. This is an annual location for this species.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell